"Codebuggy" codebug rover ( continuous servos)

Post your projects here
BMS Doug

Re: "Codebuggy" codebug rover ( continuous servos)

Post by BMS Doug » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:26 am

with Grahams servo program loaded I could see the tracks spin (or not, as it turned out) one of the servo horns had not aligned very well into the sprocket so I spent several hours repeatedly removing it and re-gluing it until I got the alignment right, now both servos happily spin their tracks.

Tonight holds visitors so I'll continue on Friday, constructing an interface board to hold the codebug and transfer power from battery to servos and bug

BMS Doug

Post by BMS Doug » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:05 pm

I remixed MikeR's code, stripping it back to simply driving both motors forwards (well one forward and one backward) but I have problems with speed control, adjusting the settings doesn't seem to have much effect on the speed output.

It may be that my interface board needs to be remade to distribute the power better, or perhaps I should disconnect the codebug power from the board and run the bug from a seperate battery (CR2032)?

You tube video

mikerr

Post by mikerr » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:09 pm

FWIW I did separate power for codebug (CR2032) & servos (small lipo)

A continuous servo has a center position where it is stopped, then either side of that controls its rotation direction
- higher speed is further away from center.

It's a good idea to find that center point, as it is not always consistent across different servos.

E.g. with proper PWM ( on pi !) the center point is 88 on one, 97 on the other.
Twitter @mikered codebug profile mikerr

BMS Doug

Post by BMS Doug » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:32 am

Connecting a CR2032 battery and snipping the power connection to the CodeBug board does seem to have improved performance but I haven't (yet ) tuned the two servo's to identical speeds.

I might try programming up my Raspio duino to identify the center positions (I already have an analogue stick and a display connected to it so just dig it out of the box and modify the program to adjust pwm speed).