[Solved] Codebug won't power up [Request for new subforum]

General Chit Chat
gregoryfenton

[Solved] Codebug won't power up [Request for new subforum]

Post by gregoryfenton » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:51 am

Hi

Can't believe codebug don't have their own forums.

Would you consider adding a subforum for support please?

In my case the codebug does not turn on using a regular micro-USB cable but turns on when using a power only cable.

In Linux it tells me that the USB port is overcurrent when I attach the codebug using a data cable.

I have tried several cables, including a brand new unused one from a tablet I purchased yesterday.
Last edited by gregoryfenton on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikerr

Re: Request for new subforum

Post by mikerr » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:39 pm

[I'll look into adding a troubleshooting section in a bit]

------

What if anything happens when you hold button A while plugging into usb ?

What should happen when doing that:
The top-left led should light up and then the usb mass storage device will appear ("codebug")

(I'm assuming you haven't installed a battery)
Twitter @mikered codebug profile mikerr

gregoryfenton

Re: Codebug won't power up [Request for new subforum]

Post by gregoryfenton » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:06 am

If I use a power only USB lead and hold the A button while connecting USB the red LED nearest the A button comes on solid (not flashing).
If I use a data lead I get nothing at all.

DeeJay

Post by DeeJay » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:47 am

I have a cheap usb inline power monitor for situations like this. It measures current to a claimed accuracy of 0.01A

I've checked 2 Codebugs. Both draw so little current that the monitor fails to register. (ie. it is less than 10mA)

For comparison, a usb 'memory stick' registers between 0.01 and 0.02 amps when plugged into a Windows PC.

My hunch is that your Codebug is faulty.

gregoryfenton

Post by gregoryfenton » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:51 pm

As an end to this matter (and this thread) I contacted CodeBug and they sent a replacement CodeBug.

I can just plug that one in and it works perfectly. Definitely a hardware issue with the first CodeBug.

Many thanks to all.

Greg

BMS Doug

Post by BMS Doug » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:20 am

gregoryfenton wrote:As an end to this matter (and this thread) I contacted CodeBug and they sent a replacement CodeBug.

I can just plug that one in and it works perfectly. Definitely a hardware issue with the first CodeBug.

Many thanks to all.

Greg
I feel like laughing, you've had a replacement codebug, I haven't even received my first ones yet (but they may be waiting at the post office for my wife to collect later on today).

gregoryfenton

Re: [Solved] Codebug won't power up [Request for new subforum]

Post by gregoryfenton » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:45 am

Hope you get it Doug

Mine both came in a small white padded envelope (2nd class), so unless you have no letterbox it would have been posted through your door. I never had to sign anything as it was not recorded delivery.

I'd leave a message on their contact us page asking when it was posted. They are quick to respond in my experience.

Greg

BMS Doug

Post by BMS Doug » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:35 am

gregoryfenton wrote:Hope you get it Doug

Mine both came in a small white padded envelope (2nd class), so unless you have no letterbox it would have been posted through your door. I never had to sign anything as it was not recorded delivery.

I'd leave a message on their contact us page asking when it was posted. They are quick to respond in my experience.

Greg
My wife just collected them from the post office, it was my (10) codebugs (which don't fit through the letterbox and as the first set got lost in the post these had to be signed for).

I'll test them tonight.

gregoryfenton

Post by gregoryfenton » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:44 pm

You have 10? Nice.
I am considering buying more and making a string of them as an LED sign, with each one connecting to the previous and next one using 2 pins to indicate when it should scroll the message.
In my case I had done a pacman and wanted him to chase goats and east dots.
Easily done if we can get the source code to the devices so we can add functionality.

BMS Doug

Post by BMS Doug » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:12 pm

gregoryfenton wrote:You have 10? Nice.
I am considering buying more and making a string of them as an LED sign, with each one connecting to the previous and next one using 2 pins to indicate when it should scroll the message.
In my case I had done a pacman and wanted him to chase goats and east dots.
Easily done if we can get the source code to the devices so we can add functionality.

Yes, I decided to do my christmas shopping via kickstarter. I have 2 children and 7 nieces & nephews (which leaves one for me).